Thursday 27 April 2017

Teach Yourself Game Programming in 21 Days - Intro

Holy crap, I haven't posted here since January!

I was reminiscing about coding in the olden days with a colleague when I realised I still have lots of coding books lying around. One sprang to mind immediately; Teach Yourself Game Programming in 21 Days by AndrĂ© LaMothe. It's an excellent book, full of practical tips (for the time, anyway) and reasonably structured code. Its language of choice is C, though there are occasional bits of Assembly to speed things up.

After I dug it out of the pile, I was slightly saddened to find that the CD with all the supporting material is gone. That means I'll have a lot of typing to do, not to mention some graphics and sound files to create. My second problem is that, this being a book from 1994, it creates programs that are designed to be run in DOS. Not only will I need to use DOSBox (which I'm familiar with), I'll also need to find a C compiler that can create these olde binaries.

Despite all this, I've decided to go through the book and get as much of it running as I can. I'm not sure I'll be able to do it over three weeks like the title suggests, but I plan to document my journey on this blog and release all the code I end up writing in a public repository somewhere.

Note: the games contained therein use PCX and VOC files. When was the last time you saw one of those?

No comments:

Post a Comment