Thursday 29 September 2011

SDA Marathons

We at SDA aren't happy to merely sit around in our parents' basements playing games. Occasionally we get together and do charity marathons; so far I've been part of two of them.
  • Awesome Games Done Quick 2011 - This was an in-person event that was 5 days long, with a wide range of games. I ran Morrowind for this, and though it didn't go too well, I had a great time getting to know people I've only ever seen as screen names on a forum. We're planning another event at the same time and location next year, look for us from January 4th.
  • Japan Relief Done Quick 2011 - This was an online event, 4 days long and full of people from all over the world streaming at their strongest games. For this I ran Klonoa 2, and did quite well, beating most of my practice attempts. Because I finished ahead of schedule, I also ran Commander Keen for fun, and though it wasn't very fast, a lot of the people who were watching got a retro kick out of it.
I'm also going to Awesome Games Done Quick 2012 to run the game that started it all, Quake. This is a difficult game to run and although it's less than half an hour of gameplay, it's intense and full of tricks small and large. I'm also doing Magicka, a 4-player action RPG hit from earlier this year. It'll be a lot less serious, we'll be killing each other a lot etc. Going to be a lot of fun, and I hope we'll get even more viewers (and donations) than last year. This year it's for Prevent Cancer Foundation once more; last year we raised more than $52,000 for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment